Flexible Workforce Development Fund
For the 5th round of funding (2021/22) the Scottish Government have opened up two funding streams:
- Scotland based employers who pay the Apprenticeship Levy
- Scotland based SME employers
If you belong to either group of Scottish businesses you may be able to apply for the current Flexible Workforce Development Fund (FWDF).
a. If you are an Apprenticeship Levy Payer
FWDF is available for employers that pay the Apprenticeship Levy and it may give you access to a fund of up to £15,000 towards your employees’ training and development through Dumfries & Galloway College (or another Scottish Regional College).
b. If you are an SME Employer
FWDF is available for employers that a classes as SMEs and it may give you access to a fund of up to £5,000 towards your employees' training and development through Dumfries & Galloway College (or another Scottish Regional College).
What is involved?
Applications are approved and allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. So be quick, once the funding pot allocated to each regional college is used up, you will have to go on a waiting list!
The aim of the of funding is to provide employers with workforce development training to up-skill and re-skill their existing workforce and/or important supply-chain members in order to
- increase organisational capacity
- increase productivity
- address known skills gaps
- address equality of opportunity to access work and to progress in work, to ensure everyone is able to maximise their potential (this includes reducing the disability employment gap, give consideration to specific groups in their workforce where training could bing disproportionately positive benefits, i.e. carers, veterans etc.)
Over the last few years we have delivered training ranging from NEBOSH and Mental Health First Aid, to Advanced Food Hygiene and ILM Management & Leadership. Please make contact to discuss your organisation's training requirements. As part of this you may also want to consider Skills For Growth (S4G). We are working closely with Skills Development Scotland to support employers in adapting to a new economic environment with a greater focus on innovation and productivity, where having the right blend of skills is essential. S4G is a process that will assist employers hone in on the key skills needed to push your business ahead. S4G is fully funded and offers employers a range of potential solutions unique to them and aligned to their business objectives. S4G guides you towards the right support, training opportunities, initiatives and funding. (see also Skills Development Scotland's Skills For Growth video)
- The FWDF is available to eligible employers across the private, public and third sectors based in Scotland.
- Each employer can access up to a maximum of £15,000 or £5,000, depending on their status, in 2021/22.
- The FWDF can be used as part-contribution towards training of a higher cost.
- Employers may submit only one application to the fund within the application period.
- The FWDF is in addition to apprenticeship support, which all employers are eligible to access in Scotland.
- The FWDF will not support provision of qualifications or training required by legislation.
For more information please also refer to the Scottish Funding Council website:
A Flexible Workforce Development fund application form is available from Dumfries and Galloway College now.
All training must be contractually committed by the end of July 2022, and training must have commenced prior to the end of August 2022 and has to have been completed and fully delivered by 31 December 2022.
External Liaison Officer