This course enables you to develop and progress your career prospects in the childhood/early years sector by studying at a more advanced level. Successful attainment of your HND will then enable you to study courses at SCQF level 9. The Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) require managers in the sector to obtain level 9 qualifications.
This course is year 2 of a full time 2-year course. The first year requires you to have obtained your HNC Childhood Practice @SCQF level 7 or SVQ Social Services: Children and Young People @ level 3
This course is year 2 of a full time 2-year course.
This course is full time over 36 weeks. The delivery will be mainly online with potential for some on campus workshops and seminars. It will be delivered over a minimum of 2 and half days per week, with an additional work placement of 2 days per week if you are not in employment.
- HNC Childhood Practice (96 SCQF credits) plus 24 SCQF credits at Level 7 or equivalent SVQ level 3
- Relevant childcare experience
- You must be 18 years of age when the course starts.
- Attendance at and successful performance during your interview session.
- A satisfactory Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) check is also required to enable participation in placement.
Information and Interview Session Requirements
Your attendance at an information and interview session is essential. Your interview process will contain the following:
- Evidence of your qualifications, employment experience, interest in the sector demonstrated in your personal statement.
- Written Task
- Interview /discussion with a member(s) of staff.
- PVG eligibility
Your interview session may be face to face, on TEAMs or by phone.
The HND in Childhood Practice aims to develop your abilities as a reflective practitioner, strengthen your research and study skills along with your knowledge and skills in childhood practice. It will enable you to keep current and updated on the government’s aspirations for children and families in Scotland and that you understand the major changes in legislation policy and guidance for the sector.
This is a 15-credit group award, which has a mandatory work placement requirement to evidence competency. Some of the units that you will study include:
- Enhance Professional Practice
- Leadership and Team Working
- Integrated and Collaborative Working
- Pedagogical Approaches
You can progress to the BA Childhood Practice or BA Childhood Studies at SCQF level 9 and 10.
The BA Childhood Practice is the recognised SSSC registration requirement for Manager/Lead Practitioner
Further study may lead to qualifications such as Manager/Lead practitioner in Early Learning and Childcare settings. It can also lead to further studies in Education.
Additional funding information
You should apply to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). Please visit their website: saas.gov.uk for further details for full and part-time study.
- Enhances career opportunities within the sector
- Enables entry to study level 9 and level 10 BA Childhood Studies and BA Childhood Practice qualifications