It is an introductory qualification that aims to help you develop some of the skills, knowledge, and attitudes needed for work in the early learning and childcare sector. If you are successfully accepted on to the programme you will study both theoretical content as well as taking part in practical activities.
The course aims to give you
- an understanding of the workplace and your responsibilities (e.g. time-keeping, appearance)
- self-evaluation skills
- positive attitude to learning
- flexible approaches to solving problems
- adaptability and positive attitude to change
- confidence to set goals, reflect and learn from experience
- skills to become effective job-seekers and employees
- 1 year part time, 3 hrs per week
- To be working towards National 5 qualifications
- To include an accurate and well written statement in your application that should explain why you want to do this programme and your interest in this subject.
- You need to show that you want to learn new skills, have a real interest in the area and that you arecommitted to consistent and full attendance throughout the course.
Additional Entry Requirements
Information and Interview Session Requirements
This is a key aspect of the application process. You must confirm your attendance should you be offered an appointment.
During the information and interview session, we will ensure the entry requirements and your aspirations and career plan are appropriate for the course and the level of course you have applied for. It is therefore important that you prepare well for this.
You will study four Units and these are:-
- Child Development and Health
- Play in Early Education and Childcare
- Working in Early Education and Childcare
- Care and Feeding of Children
To achieve the Course award you must successfully achieve all the Units listed above.
- a place on the Playwork and Childcare at SCQF level 5 full time college programme
- or The Foundation Apprenticeship part time programme if you continue at school for a further year,
- or progress to the NC in Early Education and Childcare at SCQF level 6 full time programme
- or any other college programmes at SCQF level 5 or level 6 dependent on their entry criteria.
Further information on careers within this sector can be found at the following link
Additional funding information
Course Contact Details
The programme also aims to develop transferrable skills relevant to employment.