If you wish to work or are currently working as an education support assistant (sometimes known as a classroom assistant, support for learning assistant or pupil support assistant (PSA) - this covers all these roles) this course is designed for you. Education support assistants are generally employed in schools to support the work of class teachers in learning activities. Support assistants are often involved in supporting and supervising tasks set by teachers to individuals and groups of students. The variety of educational establishments support assistants work range from primary schools, to secondary schools, further education colleges and in the private childcare sector.
This course is perfect for any person over the age of 16 years who wishes to return to education, or who is currently volunteering in school, or is currently working in a school/educational setting and wishes to undertake a professional development qualification, or is a student progressing on from our Playwork and Childcare @ SCQF level 5 course or equivalent.
Both Campus Sites
- 5 National 5 qualifications at Grade C or above. One of which must be English and one of which must be numeracy or equivalent. OR
- Successful completion of a National 5 course such as the NPA Playwork and Childcare or equivalent.
- You must be 16 years or over at the start of the course
- PVG eligibility is required to enable participation in a work placement.
Applications are encouraged from mature students who do not possess formal qualifications but have appropriate understanding and skills to meet the academic demands of the course.We also welcome applications from you if you have undertaken a PEEP course and followed on with a course on the Role of the Learning Assistant.
Information and Interview Session Requirements
Your attendance at an information and interview session is essential. Your interview process will contain the following:
- Evidence of your qualifications, employment experience, interest in the sector demonstrated in your personal statement.
- Written task/Or discussion on a relevant topic
- Interview /discussion with a member(s) of staff.
- Demonstration of your ability to work at SCQF level 6
- PVG eligibility
This course combines theory with practice in a work experience placement within a school or an appropriate educational setting. You will gain an understanding of the key responsibilities you need to assist children and young people with additional support needs, classroom organisation and administrative tasks. Some topics you will learn about include:
- Supporting the development of children from birth to 18 years
- Professional Practice in an Educational Setting
- Supporting the behaviour of children and young people
- Supporting children and young people who require additional support for learning.
You will undertake a work placement in an appropriate educational establishment to enable you obtain direct experience to enable you to link theory to practice.
- HNC Childhood Practice @ SCQF Level 7
- HNC Social Services @SCQF Level 7
Other progression pathways to higher vocational qualifications will be available through completion of relevant SVQ 3 awards, such as Children and Young People. This pathway may be available if you are already in employment as a learning support assistant.
On completion you can apply for registration as an SSSC professional and go on to employment at Support Worker Level
Additional funding information
Additional Funding Information: This course is part-time study and therefore does not qualify for normal funding or bursary payments. Please enquire at student funding for further information if you wish to undertake this programme.
- Gaining this qualification enables you to register with the SSSC once in employment at support worker level.
- Successful completion enables progression pathways to a range of HNC qualifications
- Suitable for those already working in the sector to gain a professional development qualification
- Suitable for individuals wishing to return to or continue their education on a part time basis.