This course will introduce you to the skills and knowledge you will need for a career in the fitness, health & exercise industry.
On successful completion of your course you can register for the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS) Level 2 Personal Trainer accreditation.
A PVG (Protecting Vulnerable Groups) check must be successfully completed as part of this course. The learner will be required to pay for this. Learners will also be required to purchase a sports kit. Further information will be provided at your ‘Information and Interview Session’.
Full Time 2 or 3 days per week, additional hours for work experience and attendance in the evening may be required.
- Two Highers at grade C; OR
- SCQF level 6 qualification in a sports related subject; OR
- Other equivalent qualifications or experience.
If you are currently studying at Dumfries & Galloway College, you will also require a positive progressing learner reference.
All applicants will be invited for an information and interview session where you’ll get the opportunity to find out more about the course and tell us why you’re interested in this subject area.
Information and Interview Session Requirements
This is a key aspect of the application process. You must confirm your attendance should you be offered an appointment.
During the information and interview session, we will ensure the entry requirements and your aspirations and career plan are appropriate for the course and the level of course you have applied for. It is therefore important that you prepare well for this.
You will study:
- First Aid for Sport and Fitness
- Working effectively and Safely with Clients
- Health and Safety Management
- Exercise, Anatomy and Physiology
- Exercise Principles and Programming
- Nutrition for Fitness, Health and Exercise
- Physical Activity for Children
- Plan, Teach and Evaluate Group Exercise Sessions
- Plan, Teach and Evaluate Gym Based Exercise Sessions
- Health Screening
- Strength and Conditioning
*The course content is subject to change.
Students may apply to progress to the HND Fitness, Health and Exercise or dependent on the university you may be able to gain entry to 1st or 2nd year of study on related degree programmes.
The HNC Fitness, Health & Exercise can offer you excellent career opportunities in the sport and fitness industry.
Previous students on this course have moved on to:· HND Fitness, Health & Exercise
Careers in:· Personal training
· Fitness instructing
· Uniformed services
· Physiotherapy / Sports therapy
· Strength & conditioning
· Sports psychology
Additional funding information
You should apply to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). Please visit saas.gov.uk for further details.