This course is aimed at those in supervisory roles within the hospitality industry and those working in a high-risk food environment and is also suitable for those who work within the food manufacturing industry
Online materials with tutor support available, designed to develop your knowledge and understanding of the principles of Food Safety.
Course materia is online and tutor support is available throughout the duration of your learning.
On completion of this unit you should be able to:
- Describe the principles of food safety identifying the role of bacteria and non bacterial agents.
- Describe the production of safe food in relation to the prevention of food poisoning, food borne illness and contamination by physical and allergenic materials.
- Explain the rationale behind food safety management systems based on the principles of HACCP and the role of current hygiene legislation.
- Explain the need for satisfactory design, construction and maintenance of food premises and equipment and the benefits of effective cleaning and disinfection.
- Explain the principles involved in the preservation and safe storage of food.
- This course uses scientific language and terminology and you will be expected to understand, explain and use these terms correctly.
- On successful completion, candidates can apply for a REHIS Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate should they require REHIS certification.
Progression: This qualification also forms part of other HNCs in Hospitality and Food Production.
IMPORTANT: There are minimum requirements for viewing this course on-line. In order to access LearnNet (our student learning area), where all materials and assignments will be located, your device must have at least one of the following compatible browsers:
- Internet Explorer 8, or above
- Firefox 4, or above
- Safari 5, or above
- Google Chrome 11, or above
- Opera 9, or above
And the following plugins:
- A PDF Viewer
- Flash plugin
- Java RTE installed
Assessments will take place in college under exam conditions.
Outcome 1 and 2 assesments will be sat on the same day.(1hour)
Outcome 3 on 1 day (35minutes)
Outcome 4 and 5 will be sat on the same day (1 hour)
Course Contact Details
T: 01387 734233