NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
This qualification is designed for anyone (managers, supervisors and workers) in any type of organisation. It is ideal for anyone who needs a broad understanding of health and safety issues to be able to manage day-to-day risks effectively. Many people take the National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety (NGC) as a first step in a career in health and safety. It gives a valuable overview, and is sound basis for further professional study.
When you achieve the NGC you will be a huge asset to your employer! You will have the knowlegde, understanding and skills to help protect the health and safety of all workers. You will be able to help your employer to comply with the law and good practice, as well as help them avoid huge costs from incidents and ill-health.
Once you have your NGC qualification you can apply for AIIRSM, AIOSH and TechIOSH Membership.
12 weeks including examination and revision
Further to classroom delivery, it would be expected that learners will require to dedicate a minimum of 40 hours over the duration of the course for home study.
Whilst there are no formal entry requirements to this program of learning, learners should be advised that it is highly desirable that they already have some input to health and safety in their working environment.
For those learners completely new to Health and Safety, it is strongly recommended that they undergo IOSH Managing Safely Course before undertaking NEBOSH.
The qualification is divided into two units, all which are assessed separately:
- Management of Health and Safety (NG1) - An open book examination (scenario based) and includes a closing interview
- Risk Assessment (NG2) - Practical assessment
Syllabus can be viewed directly from https://www.nebosh.org.uk/qualifications/national-general-certificate/
What Will I Know?
- How to effectively manage health & safety
- How to identify and control common workplace hazards
- How to measure if you've been successful
- The UK's key legal requirements
What will I be able to do?
- Confidently carry out risk assessments
- Develop and implement a detailed action plan
- Manage and minimise workplace risks
- Support and develop your company's health and safety culture
NG1- open book assessment (24 hour window to complete)
NG2- practical assessment including written commentary, completed in your own time and submitted no later than the final exam date.
Additional funding information
Eligible for ITA Funding. Please visit My World of Work website for details.