Cyber Scotland Week 2022
Cyber Scotland Week
Cyber Scotland Week 2022 runs from 28th February - 6th March 2022 and highlights the importance of businesses and individuals being cyber aware and protecting themselves from the threat of online attacks.
Our very own computing lecturer and cyber security expert, Chris Connor is presenting our mini information series designed to keep you safe and secure online - tune in here on our social media pages to find out Chris' recommendations.
Find out the topics Chris will be covering in his mini information series throughout the week.
Top tips for staying safe online
To keep your computer and devices safe there are multiple ways to protect yourself and others against viruses and hackers.
Follow this simple advice to help guard your devices
- Having a strong password and using a different password on each sign in point you may have
- Connecting to a secure WIFI connection making sure it is reliable and trusted.
- Installing all software updates. This will keep your computer and devices up to date against any new viruses that may have been created
- Having up-to-date security software and firewalls this will stop outside programs from accessing your internet.
When using social media, we need to remember anyone can access your information if you do not manage your security and privacy settings on your accounts.
Here are some tips in keeping your safe online
- Use a strong password and avoid you need to pick a username avoid date of birth or your own name.
- Set your privacy settings to restrict who can see your profile. This is so any personal information remains inaccessible to anyone who you don’t wish to see it.
- Remember you have a digital footprint, be careful in what you post. You should not give away your address and phone number.
Apps are useful and fun however unsafe apps that contain malware can find their way onto people’s phones and damage your phone.
Here are some tips for downloading and using apps to keep your devices safe
- Install apps from an app store I.E Google Play or Apple. Make sure you recognise the store.
- The permissions that you allow on the apps you must be aware of. Make sure you are not sharing any details you do not need to.
- In-app purchases and costs make sure you know what you are paying for.