Free staff training via FWDF
FWDF is the Flexible Workforce Development Fund - a gateway to free staff training using Government money.
Take advantage of this Government funding to upskill your staff to grow your business for free.
Find out everything you need to know...
The Flexible Workforce Development Fund is available to all Scottish employers, including small and medium enterprises (SMEs). The Fund supports businesses in Scotland to up-skill and re-skill their employees to support inclusive economic growth in Scotland. As an employer, you can use it to address priority skills gaps and get training tailored to your needs.
The fund provides funding to UK Apprenticeship Levy-payers and SMEs in Scotland.
- Apprenticeship Levy Payers are businesses that pay the UK apprenticeship levy.
- SMEs are defined as businesses with less than 250 members of staff.
The FWDF is intended to help employers address priority skills gaps and training needs. If you’re a UK Apprenticeship Levy-paying business or an SME in Scotland, you can use the FWDF to upskill or reskill your staff.
The amount of FWDF funding available depends on which type of business you are:
- UK Apprenticeship Levy-payers – up to £15,000
- SMEs in Scotland – up to £5,000
This means your staff can receive training worth this much money.
To access the Flexible Workforce Development Fund to benefit from free training for your staff, simply apply through Dumfries and Galloway College using the contact form below.
- The deadline for applications to Dumfries & Galloway College is Wednesday, 30 June 2021. This will allow us to process applications and plan course dates in time for the submission deadline to the Scottish Funding Council on 31 July 2021.
- Training to be delivered under the FWDF must have commenced by 30 November 2021
- Training to be delivered under the FWDF must be completed by 31 March 2022
- Places are limited – we’re only able to take a limited amount of applications. We expect this to be:
- Up to 15 applications from UK Apprenticeship Levy-payers
- Up to 27 applications from SMEs
- Eligible applications will be approved on a "first-come, first-served" basis so you are advised to apply early.
Why train your staff
Your people are your business. Having capable and qualified staff can maximise effectiveness, achieve efficiencies, drive down costs and help increase your sales and profits.
Benefits of investing in your workforce
- You can increase their productivity to grow your business
- You can improve the quality of their work to better satisfy your customers
- You can empower them to reduce waste or faults, reducing your customer complaints
- You can improve morale and motivation to better retain and engage your staff
- It can help you gain a competitive advantage over your rivals
Arla Foods Ltd
“By working closely with Dumfries & Galloway College, Arla have been able to enhance the company’s commitment to staff development and training, while at the same time raising the quality of employment in a rural area like Dumfries & Galloway.”
- John Faircloth-Wood, Learning and Development Co-Ordinator for Arla Foods Ltd
NHS Dumfries and Galloway
“NHS Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries and Galloway college have worked in collaboration using The Flexible Workforce Development Fund to provide our staff with a number of development opportunities over the years."
- Adjoa Forson, Organisational Development and Learning Facilitator for NHS Dumfries & Galloway
Contact us to apply
External Liaison Officer