This course is your route to an industry recognised qualification. It will introduce you to the skills and knowledge you will need for a career in sports coaching and/or sports development. Together we will examine the principles of good coaching practice, as well as developing your practical and theoretical knowledge of coaching and sports development.
Investing in Your Success:
- Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Check: Your journey towards excellence will require a successful PVG check, a vital step in ensuring the safety and well-being of all. Please note that you will be charge around £59 for this.
- Equipped for Excellence: As part of the program, you will also need to buy a specialised sports kit – items are individually priced.
Full Time 2 or 3 days per week, additional hours for work experience and attendance in the evening may be required.
- Two Highers at grade C or above; OR
- SCQF level 6 qualification in a sports related subject; OR
- Other equivalent qualifications or experience.
- PVG Membership with a clear record
If you are currently studying at Dumfries & Galloway College, you will also require a positive progressing learner reference along with successful completion of all qualifications on your current course.
Information and Interview Session Requirements
Progressing students from Dumfries and Galloway College will not be required to attend an interview session, however, you will be required to have passed your previous course and have gained a positive learner reference.
Entry to the course is competitive, demonstrate your motivation to be successful by filling in the application form and answering all the questions as fully as possible. You may be invited to an interview which could be face to face or over the phone. Check that you meet the entry criteria. We do our best to advise you of the correct level you should be studying at.
You will study:
- Sports Coaching Theory and Practice
- Anatomy, Physiology and Energy Systems
- Coaching of Sports
- Sports Development
- Work Placement
- Assisting with Sport Events
- Strength and Conditioning
- Coaching Children
*The course content is subject to change.
Assessment is ongoing throughout the year and includes practical assessments and project work.
Students may apply to progress to the HND in Coaching and Developing Sport. Dependent on the university, you may be able to gain entry to 1st or 2nd year of study on related degree programmes.
The HNC in Coaching and Developing Sport can offer you excellent career opportunities in the sport & fitness industry.
- Sport development
- Community sports coaching
- Coaching in professional sport
- Sports facilities supervisory roles
Additional funding information
You should apply to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). Please visit saas.gov.uk for further details.
You will be taught by sports coaching staff with significant industry experience and a proven record of accomplishment in bringing out the best in their students.
Learners can also expect:
- Extensive opportunity to coach and lead activities in the community.
- Access to training opportunities with some of the region’s leading coaches.