Dumfries and Galloway College is a further education institution and a leading voice in green skills development to help tackle climate change. With campuses in Dumfries and Stranraer, we are one of the main employers and providers of learning and training across the South of Scotland.
We offer learning and development opportunities to individuals looking to build their future, reskill to change their career, or simply learn something new, and business to train their workforces. We’re also winners of multiple awards including Sustainability Action Award 2021, Outstanding Project Award, and multiple Green Gown Awards in 2021 and 2022.
We employ over 280 members of academic and support staff in roles covering curriculum management, lecturing, sales and marketing, accounting and finance, human resources, student experience, facility management, and more.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and identities. Our values focus on inclusion, and we believe every colleague should be able to bring their authentic self to work.
Hear from our staff
Lisa Allen – Education Support Worker
I really enjoy working at the college, it has an open and welcoming feel to all and it’s never dull, being a place of learning and diverse student base. I’m always learning something new myself and working with younger people has its rewards and benefits too
Joining Dumfries and Gallway college means you are part of either the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) for support staff or the Scottish Public Pensions Agency (SPPA) for lecturers. Part of the employment package includes a range of benefits to help you save for your future.
- To keep up with the cost of living your pensions are worked out each year with inflation added.
- Pension contributions can receive tax relief.
- You may take your pension at any age on or after your 55th birthday but your benefits may be reduced depending on your age and length of service
- You can increase your retirement savings in a cost-effective way using our Shared Cost Additional Voluntary Contribution AVC benefit with AVC Wise
- Life cover and ill health protection.
- Your pensions can be allocated to dependents.
- When you retire you are guaranteed an index-linked pension for life.
- If you become permanently unable to work you may be entitled to an ill-health pension
- At retirement, you can access a lump sum tax-free.
- You’ll accrue Family Benefits service throughout your membership, which could provide your nominated dependant’s benefits when you die
- You can decide to pay more.
- You can transfer credits from other pension schemes to this pension scheme.
We guarantee you a real Living Wage.
The real Living Wage is an independent organisation that calculates what employees need to earn to have a decent standard of living.
Applying to all employees over the age of 18 this voluntary process is good for us and our local community.
Dumfries and Galloway College is a Disability Confident Employer.
The Disability Confident Employer is a government scheme ensuring the recruitment process and support of current staff is as inclusive and accessible as possible.
At Dumfries and Galloway College, if you meet the essential criteria for a job post, you will be guaranteed an interview and considered on your ability.
We aim to achieve equality for all by addressing discrimination in education and employment. See our Equality and Diversity page for further details.
Mental health is a high priority for Dumfries and Galloway College. We provide a range of services and support for our staff to use and help with any concerns that may be affecting them.
Recently we have partnered with Able Futures allowing our employees to access one-to-one support sessions with a Mental Health Nurse, Occupational Therapists, and Counsellors.
Other services we have to support our staff include
- Occupational therapist where we have access to NHS Psychological Services.
- Free access to apps including MyMindPal (Mental Health Fitness App) and Angels (Domestic Violence App).
- Counseling session with specialists.
- Financial wellbeing including AskBill and VIVUP.
- VIVUP mental health support (see below)
One of our other amazing partners, VIVUP provides our staff with a range of employee benefits including
- Lifestyle savings from the UK top retailers.
- Cycle to work scheme, helping our staff spread the cost of a brand new bike with up to 42% savings.
- Exclusive offers from car insurance, leasing, and breakdown cover.
Mental health support through VIVUP
- Confidential 24/7 telephone support from fully qualified counsellors and support specialists to discuss any emotional, personal or work-related issues
- Access to Face to Face and Virtual Counselling
- Access to a range of self-help CBT workbooks, podcasts and blogs covering a range of mental health and wellbeing topics
At Dumfries and Galloway college, where appropriate for your role we are open to discussing hybrid and flexible working.
Getting the most talented and suitable person for the job role is our top priority. We will always consider adapting to your needs if possible, which includes the ability to work remotely and flexible working hours.
Including bank holidays and college closure dates, you will have up to 45 days of annual leave to take pro rata.
Including bank holidays and college closure dates, you will have up to 62 days of annual leave to take pro rata.
National Joint Negiating Committee (NJNC) in partnership with trade unions (GMB, EIS, UNISON and UNITE) jointly decides Scotland’s colleges terms and conditions, pay and any issues that may arise national or locally.
We are proud to be an SCQF Inclusive Recruiter
When we are recruiting, we recognise that different qualifications have the same worth. The college uses SCQF levels to clarify skills and experience in each person giving equal opportunity to succeed.
- We recognise the value of and are committed to collective bargaining to provide an effective employee voice. We have local consultation and negotiating committee.
- We are committed to working with our trade unions.
- We are committed to the national arrangements for collective bargaining contained within the National Recognition and Procedures Agreement (NRPA). We will implement any agreement that comes from the Fair Work Working Group.
- We restate our commitment to fair work in our Regional Outcome Agreement to the Scottish Funding Council.
- We have established a range of flexible working policies and practices which support diversity and inclusion and equality of access to employment and development opportunities.
- We are a Living Wage employer.
- The College has an organisational change policy which ensures transparency and consultation in times of change.
- All staff have a PDR which provides them with opportunity to discuss their training needs and development.
- We have well embedded health and safety workplace practice.
Our staff are also fully supported in their CPD opportunities – both in curriculum and support teamsHuman Resources
Dumfries and Galloway College recognises that membership of trade unions brings a benefit to staff and to the organisation. Our Local Joint Negotiating Committee meets regularly during the year. This is currently attended by representatives from EIS/FELA, Unison and Unite, reflecting the trade union membership of our staff.