The HNC in Graphic Design with Moving Image combines the development of innovative and creative thinking with technological skill. Through use of both digital and traditional media you can develop your skills towards exciting careers.
This course encourages you to further develop your creative and analytical thinking alongside higher level key skills required for progression to studies at and working in the graphic design, moving image and illustration sectors.
1 Year Attendance: Full Time 2 – 2.5 days per week plus independent study time is also required.
- One Higher at Grade C or above in a relevant subject* AND two National 5 qualifications at Grade C or above OR
- NQ Visual Communication Level 6 OR
- Other equivalent qualifications or experience
- Current students will be required to have a Positive Learner Reference.
* Relevant subjects include English, Art & Design or Graphic, Design and Manufacture or Communication
Information and Interview Session Requirements
You’ll be invited to a group and/or individual interview/information session where you can find out more about the course and tell us why you’re interested in this subject area.
You will also be required to send a portfolio of work to us prior to your interview.
Reviewing your portfolio will help our specialist staff to give you the best advice on which level of study and course is right for you at this time. We will make an offer based on your application form, interview and portfolio of work.
The following guidelines for a portfolio of work should be noted:
- A folio can consist of drawings, paintings, mixed media and 3D artwork, typography and layout, digital files, animation, video, or a combination of all.
- Neat and clean presentation is important.
- A maximum of 15 pieces and a variety of work is recommended.
- Video/film work to be restricted to 60 seconds.
- Please be prepared to discuss why and how you produced the creative work in your folio.
- Please remember that you are required to submit a portfolio of work prior to your Information and Interview Session.
- Please send this in digital format to: email@example.com
This exciting course will give you a taste of the specialist areas of visual communication including graphic design, animation, illustration and video production. You will learn and develop essential skills through both experimental and commercial practical projects, supported by theoretical studies.
Alongside our industry-standard creative Mac studios with Adobe Creative Cloud, our smaller groups ensure you have direct contact with, and personalised support from your experienced Lecturers throughout your studies.
You will be required to pay a studio fee to cover the costs of the hire of equipment and software.
Assessment methods may include individual and group projects, presentations, written assignments, and practical exercises,
Emphasis is usually placed on both the creative output and the understanding of theoretical concepts.
The year is divided into 3 teaching blocks, so assessment is spread evenly throughout the course. There are opportunities for re-assessment throughout the year.
Students may apply to progress onto our Creative Practice Degree programme delivered in partnership with University of West of Scotland
Entry level into professions such as Graphic Designers, Animators, Freelance Professionals, Magazine Editors, Multidisciplinary Designer, Manga Artist and Print Specialist, Film, TV and Motion Graphics.
Additional funding information
You should apply to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) for funding. Please visit their website: www.saas.gov.uk for further details.
- Experience the full breadth of visual communication disciplines
- Find your niche subjects
- Discover your own creative style
- Guest speakers and workshops
- Opportunities for commercial creative briefs
- Produce a wide-ranging portfolio for progression to further study