This course will give you a range of practical and theory-based skills in sports and fitness. You will develop your ability to plan and deliver sport and fitness activities. Through participation in a wide range of classes you will improve your leadership skills, gain valuable experience and make yourself more employable.
Full Time 2 or 3 days per week, additional hours for work experience and attendance in the evening may be required.
- Three National 5 Awards or equivalent, or
- Successful completion of a SCQF Level 5 Sport & Fitness Programme, or
- Other qualifications and/or experience
Information and Interview Session Requirements
Once we have received your application you will be asked to attend an informal information and interview session. This may be virtual either through TEAMS or by phone but remember to tell us all about yourself in your personal statement!
This is a key aspect of the application process. You must confirm your attendance should you be offered an appointment.
During the information and interview session, we will ensure the entry requirements and your aspirations and career plan are appropriate for the course and the level of course you have applied for. It is therefore important that you prepare well for this.
During your information and interview session, you will be expected to provide positive responses to questions relating to your course choice, your future career and your previous experiences in sport & fitness.
You will study:
- Exercise and Fitness (Cardiovascular, Free Weight and Circuit Training)
- Sport Development
- Sports Coaching/Leadership
- Communication, Numeracy and IT.
The course content is subject to change.
Students may apply to progress to:
· HNC Coaching & Developing Sport
· HNC Fitness, Health & Exercise
The SCQF level 6 Certificate in Sport & Fitness
Previous students on this course have moved on to:· HNC Fitness, Health and Exercise
· HNC Coaching and Developing Sport
Careers in:· Leisure facilities
· Sports coaching
· Fitness Instructing
· Supervisory roles in non-sport and fitness related industries
Additional funding information
You may be eligible for Bursary or EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) funding for this course. Please contact a member of the funding team for details.
Learners can also expect:
- Trips and visits to local sport and fitness providers.
- Experience delivering in the community.
- Involvement in local events.