Visual Communication (Graphic Design with Moving Image) HNC @ SCQF Level 7
The HNC in Graphic Design with Moving Image combines the development of innovative and creative thinking with technological skill. Through use of both digital and traditional media you can develop your skills towards exciting careers. Students have previously continued their studies and gone on to become Graphic Designers, Animators, Freelance Professionals, Magazine Directors, Multidisciplinary Designer and Print Specialists.
This course encourages you to further develop your creative and analytical thinking alongside higher level key skills required for progression to studies at HND level and working in the graphic design, moving image and illustration sectors.
- 1 Year Attendance
- Full Time 2/3 days per week
- Independent study time is also required
- A portfolio of work
- Successful interview
- Two Highers at C or above or equivalent or successful completion of the L6 in Visual Communication (qualifications ideally include English and Art/Graphics)
- Current college students will require a positive Progressing Learner Reference and core skills development
- Entry may be possible for mature students without the stated academic qualifications depending on their prior knowledge and experience.
- You may be asked to complete a skills test as part of your interview.
Information and Interview Session Requirements
Once we have received your application you will be given a date and time slot to take part in a phone interview. You must confirm your interview.
Please remember that you are required to submit a portfolio of work prior to your Information and Interview Session. Please send this in digital format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reviewing your portfolio will help our specialist staff to give you the best advice on which level of study and course is right for you at this time.
The following guidelines should be noted:
- A folio can consist of drawings, paintings, mixed media and 3D artwork, typography and layout, digital files, animation, video, or a combination of all.
- Neat and clean presentation is important.
- A maximum of 15 pieces and a variety of work is recommended.
- Please be prepared to discuss why and how you produced the creative work in your folio.
Applicants who do not bring their portfolio will be asked to reschedule their appointment.
This exciting course will give you a taste of the specialist areas of visual communication including graphic design, animation, illustration, web design and video production. You will learn and develop essential skills through both experimental and commercial practical projects, supported by theoretical studies.
Alongside our industry-standard creative Mac studios with Adobe Creative Cloud, our smaller groups ensure you have direct contact with, and personalised support from your experienced Lecturers throughout your studies.All SQA HN Awards conclude with a Graded Unit. This is your opportunity to shine and complete an independent creative project that is graded with an A, B or C pass.
Students may apply to progress to the 2nd year of HND Graphic Design with Moving Image
Graphic Design, Illustration, Freelance, Animation, Film, TV, Motion Graphics.
Additional funding information
- Experience the full breadth of visual communication disciplines
- Find your niche subjects
- Discover your own creative style
- Guest speakers and workshops
- Opportunities for commercial creative briefs
- Produce a wide-ranging portfolio for progression to HND