Hair & Beauty
Build your future and advance your career with the skills to get ahead when you study for a qualification in Hair & Beauty
What is Hair & Beauty
Hairdressing, Beauty and Complementary Therapy industries are an exciting and creative field. This industry gives you the chance to help build the confidence of others whilst using your creative flair - a new haircut or an inventive makeup look can change the way a person sees themselves. This diverse sector has a range of employment opportunities from working in a salon to working on a film set and seeing the world. At Dumfries and Galloway College you have the opportunity to get one step ahead.
You will have the chance to find out the secrets of the hair and beauty industry and learn the theory behind the practice, giving you knowledge of a wide range of techniques in our industry standard salons and tranquil beauty rooms.
You will be given a wide range of practical experience with certain courses offering the opportunity for work placement such as Hairdressing NC SCQF Level 6. This gives you the ability to focus on succeeding in your future career or further education whilst gaining knowledge of what a real working scenario would feel like
Career paths with a qualification in Health & Beauty
- Beauty Therapist - provide and preform treatments to improve and help clients face and body. They help consumers feel more confident and attractive while creating a calming environment to work in. Beauty Therapist could have a diverse skill set or have specialised skills depending on where they work such as facial massage or spray tanning. Average starting salary between £15,000 - £18,000
- Hairdressers - also known as hair stylists are skilled professionals who cut, style, and colour hair. They work with customers to advise them on hair styles for their wants and needs. Hairdressers need to keep up to date with latest trends and are able to recommend products for different hair types. Average starting salary between £14,000 - £18,000
- Makeup Artist – creative people who guarantee customers have fitting makeup for events and performances. Clients often give Makeup Artist a brief for the occasion which could mean very basic makeup for everyday people or more creative looks for films and events. Some jobs will require Makeup Artists to budget, source materials and equipment. Average starting salary between £14,000 – £18,000
- Nail Technician – improve and decorate customers nails. Before any treatments Nail Technicians check for signs of skin or nail problems. They are able to do manicures and pedicures. Nail Technicians can work with different type of manicures including gel and acrylic. Often, they are creative people who can design and draw nail art. Average starting salary between £12,500 – 18,000
Why study Hair & Beauty at Dumfries & Galloway College?
Get one step ahead and build your future with Dumfries and Galloway College – the leading provider of education and training in southwest Scotland.
Here’s why you should study with us:
We're the number 1 college in Scotland for Higher Education student pass rate based on our performance indicators.
Based on our performance indicators for the academic year 2019/20 - 82.3% of our higher national students passed.
We're in the top 2 of 26 colleges in Scotland for further education in student satisfaction with 97% Students Satisfied
We're in the top 4 of 26 of colleges in Scotland for higher education in student satisfaction with 94% Students Satisfied
Based on the 2018/19 academic year Student Satisfaction and Engagement survey conducted by the Scottish Funding Council.
Over 9 in 10 of our students move to a positive destination into further study or employment.
Based on our performance indicators
Pathway to University
Our students successfully completing an HNC or HND program can continue their education journey and move on to further study towards a degree with a UK university.
Our Learning Environment
Our fit for purpose industry standard salons and tranquil beauty room gives you the opportunity to explore and develop the skills you need to thrive in your learning. With support from our qualified staff, Dumfries and Galloway college will help students to succeed throughout their studies.
Our course options:
Choose the course for you and click through to find out more and apply:
- Hairdressing Multi Skills (NQ) @ SCQF Level 5
- Hairdressing Multi Skills NC @ SCQF Level 5
- Beauty and Make-Up Artistry (NQ) @ SCQF Level 5
- Beauty Care and Make Up (NQ) @ SCQF Level 5
- Hairdressing Multi Skills (NQ) @ SCQF Level 6
- Hairdressing NC @ SCQF Level 6
- Beauty Care NC @ SCQF Level 6
- Beauty Therapy Multi Skills (NQ) @ SCQF Level 6
- Beauty Therapy HNC @ SCQF Level 7
*Courses listed above are available as at time of publishing. Availability is subject to demand and some courses may stop accepting applications or be withdrawn at any time.