This course is an excellent opportunity for you to prepare for a career as a chef, or to simply learn and gain invaluable cooking skills.
This course really is for everyone – school leavers; chefs at all levels; hospitality staff, community groups.
On this ‘hands on’ course you will prepare, cook and serve a range of savoury and sweet dishes in our training kitchen.
All ingredients are included and you will have the opportunity to take your creations home to share with friends and family.
This course is delivered by our highly qualified, award-winning Chef, Tony Budde.
On successful completion of this course, delegates will gain an SQA NQ Professional Cookery @ SCQF L5 qualification.
Dumfries and Stranraer Campus
On completion of this course delegates will be able to:
- Demonstrate and have a better understanding of a wide range of food preparation techniques, a wide range of cookery processes and range of dishes to a commercially acceptable standard.
- Demonstrate safe knife skills
- Use a wide range of ingredients and understand ingredient function, for example: producing dishes for specific dietary requirements
- Demonstrate portion control and cooking on a budget, as well as waste control.
- Demonstrate safe and hygienic practices
- Demonstrate understanding of timing and temperature control, as well as energy usage.
- Understand importance of seasoning
Some of the dishes that you will learn to prepare, cook and serve:
- Homemade bread rolls & minestrone soup
- Spiced Carrot and red lentil Soup with tiny parmesan short bread
- Poached salmon with dill fennel salad and aioli
- Ravioli – spinach and ricotta
- Tagliatelle Carbonara with pancetta-beetroot salad
- Roast tarragon chicken with Caesar salad
- Chicken Calti and home made naan bread
- Spicy chicken tagliatelle with coconut milk
- Crispy duck legs and watercress
- Lamb hot pot
- Seared rump with red onion and Roquefort cheese salad
- Vintners butter pop-eye steak with peppers and mustard
- Homemade yorkshire puddings
- Homemade Chips
- Sweet and sour pork
- Steamed mussels
- Pear, chorizo and scallop salad
- Pan fried seabass with smoked garlic, coriander and ginger
- Thai prawns with noodles
- Deep fried haddock wrap
- Sourdough red onion and sage rolls
- Pitta bread
- Marinated aubergine with tahini sauce
- Vegetarian laksa
- Panna cotta with yoghurt and buttermilk
- Lemon posset
- Orange and pistachio cake
- Strawberry and sweet cicely syrup and yoghurt
- and much more, including demonstrations.
Candidates will be assessed throughout and will be required to upload required work to our learning portal.
On the last night – ‘show stopper night’, candidates will be required to produce a 2 course meal which will be judged and assessed by guest judges and Chef Tony. You will also have the opportunity to bring a long friends and family to try your creations (max 2 persons).
Course Contact Details
If you would like more information or to reserve a place on a course, please get in touch.
Telephone: 01387 734199