If you are interested in learning about Photography, then an NQ Photography course is the perfect starting point. It allows you to develop a wide variety of skills in a range of hands-on projects, using studio equipment, working on location and working in our darkroom.
You will develop your creative ideas using a wide variety of digital and film cameras under the supervision of experienced and friendly lecturers.
The course is designed not only to teach you useful skills but also to prepare you for the next step in your photographic career.
2 – 2.5 days per week plus independent study time is also required.
- Two National 5 qualifications at C or above including English and a design/creative subject OR
- Level 5 Foundation Studies in Creative Industries OR
- Other equivalent qualifications or experience
- Current students will be required to have a Positive Learner Reference.
- A digital portfolio of your photographic work
Information and Interview Session Requirements
You’ll be invited to an interview where you can find out more about the course and tell us why you’re interested in this subject area.
You must also send us a portfolio of work prior to your interview.
Studying full time is a major commitment and reviewing your portfolio will help our specialist staff to give you the best advice on which level of study and course is right for you at this time. We will make an offer based on your application form, interview and portfolio of work.
The following guidelines for a portfolio of work should be noted:
- Your folio should consist of a collection of examples of your most accomplished photography to date.
- A maximum of 15 pieces and a variety of photographs is recommended.
- Please be prepared to discuss why and how you produced the creative work in your folio.
We don’t expect you to be a fully-fledged photographer at this point, what we are looking for is enthusiasm and passion for a challenging but rewarding subject.
Please remember that you are required to submit a portfolio of work prior to your Information and Interview Session.
Please send this in digital format to: email@example.com
You will undertake a range of integrated projects developing skills in photography and image editing software.
Subjects studied will include the following: Camera Techniques, Lighting, Studio Photography, Portraiture, Location Photography, Analogue Processes, Digital Imaging, Creative Manipulation, Image Manipulation and File Optimisation.
The year is divided into 3 teaching blocks, so assessment is spread evenly throughout the course. There are opportunities for re-assessment throughout the year.
Assessment methods may include individual and group projects, presentations, written assignments, and practical exercises.
There is no formal exam within the course.
On successful completion of the NC Photography students may apply to progress to HNC Photography.
The course is designed to provide an option for further study in Photography, which could then lead to employment in a range of photographic careers including self-employment or photographic roles such as advertising, corporate, fashion, press, editorial etc.
Additional funding information
You may be eligible for Bursary or EMA funding for this course. Please contact a member of the funding team for details.
- Take part in a range of relevant workshops
- Develop technical and digital skills
- Location photography
- Develop skills for employment
- Studio and darkroom facilities
- Be taught by photographers with industry experience
- Improve your employability