Start your journey and keep the region moving with a trade that everyone needs.
Get one step ahead and pursue your passion with our motor vehicle courses. With state-of-the-art equipment and the latest technology, our workshops will allow you to immerse yourself in the automotive environment. You can work on a wide range of vehicles and engines with specialist courses including in electrical vehicles, light vehicle maintenance and our motor vehicle apprenticeships.
What is Motor Vehicle?
The motor vehicle industry is a vibrant and exciting trade which keeps the world running. With the possibilities of gaining employment in all parts of the country and even abroad, studying motor vehicle gives you the freedom to choose your own path.
Paving the way to gain a wide range of skills and knowledge studying motor vehicle can help you understand the installation, diagnostics, construction and maintenance of any vehicle. This includes learning the principles of engines, tyres, breaks, steering and suspension, transmissions, electrical systems and many more.
If you are looking to start fixing your own vehicle or working for a local mechanic, joining the army or have dreams in joining an F1 team motor vehicle could be the career for you.
Callum McKinlay- Transport Maintenance student
Learn more about studying Transport Maintenance
“It was really interesting setting headlight aim as this will prepare me for getting a job in the garage and it gives me an idea of how to become an MOT tester”
Why study Motor Vehicle
A wealth of opportunity can be gained from studying motor vehicle which will help you get in the fast lane to succeed in the industry. As technology is changing in the industry it is suffering from a skills shortage with IMI (Institute of the Motor Industry) reporting that vacancies are now at their highest level in the past 20 years.
This gives you the opportunity to join the motor vehicle industry at an exciting time learning new practical skills and gaining a highly sought-after qualification. Get one step ahead in your career and make yourself an irresistible candidate for employers.
Study Motor Vehicle with us to enjoy:
- Access to world-class facilities – our motor vehicle workshops give you the opportunity to get hands-on experience in a car garage helping you get your foot on the career ladder.
- Real-world skills - our courses are designed to provide you with the skills to be able to put them into practice, gaining real-world practical experience.
- Support from highly-trained staff – our lecturing and professional engineering staff will help you learn the academic theory and pick up the practical skills you need to get ahead and succeed.
- Have job security – we will always need vehicles to help us transport goods and ourselves around the world. With a qualification in the motor vehicle industry, you will have the skills required for a sustainable job role, no matter where you are.
- A route to a viable career – with a qualification in motor vehicle, you could service your own car, work for a car racing team, work for a local mechanic, run your own garage and beyond.
Where Motor Vehicle could take you
Take a look where a qualification in Motor Vehicle could take you.
As more than 1 in 3 college leavers go on to find employment*, a qualification in Motor Vehicle could lead to the following careers:
- Motor Mechanics – work on different vehicles servicing, maintaining and testing vehicles to make sure they are in working order. They have in-depth knowledge of vehicles with the confidence to explain the issues to customers and how they will fix them. Mechanics work in a car garage which they can be self-employed, employed by a company or even work for the Army. Average working salary is between - £18,000 - £20,000
- Motor Vehicle Fitter – check and fit parts of the vehicle such as tyres, breaks and exhausts. They can specialise in certain areas such as changing tyres depending on the garage they work at. Motor Vehicle Fitters can easily explain to customers with confidence any concerns they may have and how to repair them. They can control and operate any machines needed to fix the vehicles. Average starting salary between £17,000 - £18,000
- Motorsport Engineers – are specialised individuals who work within the motorsports industry. They use their skills and knowledge to evaluate vehicles to improve their speed, safety and strength. Motorsports Engineers will set up the vehicles according to the weather or racetrack conditions. They can work in a garage or test site with the ability to travel if they work for a race team. Average starting salary is £18,000
- Garage Manager – have the knowledge to manage and run a garage workshop. They have excellent business management skills to manage and motivate their staff. Garage Managers supervise their team in mechanical tasks on vehicles and pay attention to detail making sure everything has been done correctly. They have the skills to help customers with their vehicle problems and advise them on fixing the mechanical problems. Average starting salary between £22,000 - £24,000
As more than 1 in 3 college students who graduate with an HNC or above go on to university study*, a qualification in Motor Vehicle could lead you to the following degree options:
- Degree in Mechanical with Automotive Engineering
- Degree in Sustainable Automotive Engineering
- Degree in Motorsports Engineering
*based on SFC College Leaver Destinations report 19-20
Students studying and graduates with a qualification in Motor Vehicle can become a member of the Institute of the Motor Industry - the professional body for those working in automotive industry.
Memberships offers you:
- Access to a well-respected network
- IMI Membership Magazine
- Ability to develop through ongoing learning
- Access to insights from the industry
- Opportunities to gain industry and professional recognition
- Develop your career
Course Entry Requirements
Despite being a very popular subject, the entry requirements to study Motor Vehicle can be relatively low. Specific requirements will vary by course, but we offer courses where no formal academic qualifications are required. For them, all we ask for is:
- You demonstrate a keen interest in studying Motor Vehicle with us
- You attend an entry interview and present yourself well
- You have a positive learner reference – if you’ve studied with us before.
For courses with formal academic entry requirements, we offer a number of routes in – from studying the qualifications that allow you to progress to offering alternative options.
Our industry standard workshops give you the opportunity to thrive in an automotive environment developing the skills and knowledge for your future career or further education.
With support from our qualified staff, they will help you learn about the different roles and the academic theory giving you the opportunity to succeed in your studies.