Sports & Fitness
Build your future and advance your career with the skills to get ahead when you study for a qualification in Sports & Fitness
What is Sport & Fitness?
Sport and Fitness is an exciting industry with a wide range of careers available – whether it’s inspiring and motivating individuals, coaching team sports, or the brains behind the sports that you’re interested in.
The sport and fitness industry can change someone’s life by being able to understand the nutritional and physical needs of the body with the ability to help or prevent any injuries. This could be working within the NHS or working in physiotherapy for professional sports teams. As well as the obvious physical benefits, the satisfaction from watching someone learn a new sport, find something they love to do and the social aspects of team sports makes the industry a rewarding place to be.
Dumfries and Galloway College offers you the opportunity to gain your qualification in sport & fitness and learn all about the industry with our experienced staff. We have a state-of-the-art workout gym and sports hall for students to use, building on your physical skills and knowledge, alongside the theoretical elements.
With courses offered at all levels, you can join entry level courses such as Pathway to Sport, Fitness, and Health (NQ) @ SCQF Level 4 giving you the taste of sport and fitness industry, before working up to more advanced courses such as Fitness, Health and Exercise HND @ SCQF Level 8, which allows you to focus on fitness in more specialist groups. Choose your future career or further education and get one step ahead.
Career paths with a qualification in Sport & Fitness
- Physiotherapist Assistant – help patients recover and improve movements. They work with Physiotherapist providing patients care, writing up reports and setting up equipment. Physiotherapist Assistant can work with patients though exercises and prepare them for therapy. Average starting salary between £18,000 - £22,000
- Fitness Instructor – help clients to improve their fitness and health. They demonstrate activities with weights and exercise machines, guiding people into exercising safely. Fitness Instructors have a knowledge of nutrition helping clients achieve their fitness goals. Average starting wage £14,000 - £18,000
- Sports Coaches – teaches sports skills to groups and teams. They can teach across all sporting areas including working with local authorities, school groups and sports teams. Sport Coaches design, plan, and execute training programs and sessions giving confidence to clients to improve their skills. Average starting salary £15,000 - £16,000
- Leisure Centre Manager – run sports and leisure centres. They will support and manage staff members providing them training and managing staff rotas. Covering a broad range of areas, they will control budgets, market events, and arrange the leisure activity timetable. Average starting salary between £17,000 - £21,000
Why study Sports & Fitness at Dumfries & Galloway College?
Get one step ahead and build your future with Dumfries and Galloway College – the leading provider of education and training in southwest Scotland. Here’s why you should study with us:
We're the number 1 college in Scotland for Higher Education student pass rate based on our performance indicators.
Based on our performance indicators for the academic year 2019/20 - 82.3% of our higher national students passed.
We're in the top 2 of 26 colleges in Scotland for further education in student satisfaction with 97% Students Satisfied
We're in the top 4 of 26 of colleges in Scotland for higher education in student satisfaction with 94% Students Satisfied
Based on the 2018/19 academic year Student Satisfaction and Engagement survey conducted by the Scottish Funding Council.
Over 9 in 10 of our students move to a positive destination into further study or employment.
Based on our performance indicators.
Pathway to University
Our students successfully completing an HNC or HND program can continue their education journey and move on to further study towards a degree with a UK university.
Our Learning Environment
Our workout gym and sports hall allow you to learn the physical elements behind the theory while completing your qualifications. With support from our qualified staff members Dumfries and Galloway college will help students to thrive throughout their studies.
Our course options:
Choose the course for you and click through to find out more and apply:
- Pathway to Sport, Fitness and Health (NQ) @ SCQF Level 4
- Sports and Fitness (NQ) @ SCQF Level 5
- Sports and Fitness (NQ) @ SCQF Level 6
- Sport and Recreation (QoS FC) SFW @ SCQF Level 5
- Coaching and Developing Sport HNC @ SCQF Level 7
- Fitness, Health and Exercise HNC @ SCQF Level 7
- Coaching and Developing Sport HND @ SCQF Level 8
- Fitness, Health and Exercise HND @ SCQF Level 8
*Courses listed above are available as at time of publishing. Availability is subject to demand and some courses may stop accepting applications or be withdrawn at any time.