Changes to projects or programmes often fail because of senior members of the project management team being resistant to them. Our course helps individuals develop effective business cases and spending proposals so they can gain management buy-ins from senior staff and Stakeholders.
With this APMG Better Business Cases training course, students will learn the Five Case Model that is officially recommended by the UK government. The industry best practice approach helps to achieve the best business decisions and create effective spending proposals.
The course will allow all professionals to:
- Understand and effectively use the Five Case Model when crafting spending proposals and business cases.
- Know all types of business cases and how to control them properly.
- Know all phases included in business cases and how the Five Case Model applies to each stage.
- Craft high-quality spending proposals and business cases that meet the scope efficiency while gaining funding and management support.
This course includes the individual courses for the APMG Better Business Cases Foundation Certificate and APMG Better Business Cases Practitioner Certificate.
Is the APMG Better Business Cases Foundation & Practitioner suitable for me?
If any of the following positions are careers that interest you, this training course would benefit you:
- Senior Responsible Owners (SROs), including Programme Directors and other Directors with responsibility for the successful delivery of programmes and projects.
- Project Managers.
- Project Team Members and specialist advisers tasked with delivering a business case for investment.
- Officers involved in the scrutiny and review of investment proposals.
How will the APMG Better Business Cases Foundation & Practitioner course benefit me?
Earning your APMG Better Business Cases Foundation & Practitioner certificate will show you have gained the knowledge and skills to make solid decisions and ensure all stakeholders are on board.
Other benefits include:
- All resources are allocated effectively.
- Identifying problems and advocating for project success.
- Project Managers and the business will understand the core project features throughout.
- Provide future consistency to all projects.
- All involved in the project will be benefiting from clear communication.
What jobs can I apply for after my APMG Better Business Cases Foundation & Practitioner training?
The following career roles will become suitable choices for all that enrol and complete this course:
- Project Team Member – £35k
- Project Manager – £45k
- Senior Responsible Manager – £46k
- Systems Owner – £47k
- Programme Director – £100k
Why study the APMG Better Business Cases Foundation & Practitioner course with e-Careers?
We have developed an expert team over the last 10 years since our inception. In that time, we have trained over 625,000 delegates globally, which has helped offer the highest quality training, and we have earned a 5-star rating on Trustpilot, from over 10,000 students.
By refining our processes, partner relationships, and course materials, we can offer high-quality training solutions for our delegates.
*How does the Exam Pass Guarantee work?
With our Exam Pass Guarantee, if you do not pass the exam after attending this training course with us, you will be eligible to attend the next class for free.
All we ask is that you:
- Attend all class days and complete all assignments
- Take the exam within 30 days of completing your Virtual Classroom training
- Request your course re-enrolment within 30 days of the failed exam attempt
Please note: Students retaking the course are required to use any materials or books distributed to them in their original course session. Failure to provide these materials will result in the student being charged for replacement materials. Exam Pass Guarantee does not include the resit exam.
Syllabus & Exams
Better Business Cases Syllabus
Throughout this training course you will learn:
- The philosophy and underlying rationale of the Five Case Model.
- The different types of business cases, their purpose, who are responsible for them and when they are required in the development of a spending proposal.
- The development of the business case in relation to other recognised and recommended best practice for programme and project management.
Throughout this training course you will learn:
- The development lifecycle of a business case and the relationships between the five cases.
- How to apply the steps in the business case development framework, to support the production of a business case, using the Five Case Model, for a given scenario.
The training course covers the following topics:
Five case model Overview:
Developing the Strategic Case
- Defining the case for change
- Setting SMART objectives
- Defining benefits
- Defining key risks
- Balancing Effectiveness / Economy / Efficiency
Developing the Economic Case
- Options framework analysis
- Defining the ‘long list’
- Benefits appraisals
- Risk appraisals
- Turning the ‘long list’ into a ‘short List’ and a ‘preferred option’
Developing the Commercial Case
- Determining the procurement strategy
- Apportioning risk
- Determining payment mechanisms
Developing the Financial Case
- Ascertaining affordability
- Securing relevant funds
- Determining capital requirements
- Net effect on prices
Developing the Management Case
- Defining project management controls
- Defining change controls
- Define benefit measurement arrangements
- Define risk management arrangements
- Define post project evaluation processes
Better Business Cases Exam Details
Foundation Exam Details
Exam Format – Multiple-choice.
Duration – 40-mins.
Pass mark – 25/50 (50%).
Open book – No.
Practitioner Exam Details
Exam format – Multiple-choice.
Duration – 2 ½ hours.
Pass mark – 40/80 (50%).
Open book – Yes (International Guide to developing the Project Business Case and International Guide to developing the Programme Business Case only).
For the word marks of all the APMG approved and swirl device logo is a trade mark of the APM Group Limited, used under permission of The APM Group Limited. All rights reserved.
The word mark Better Business Cases™ is used as APMG Better Business Cases™.
Accredited (Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner) training is provided by (e-Careers Limited), APMG-International Accredited Training Organisation.