Professional cookery has never been as popular as it is today. This course is an excellent opportunity for you to study and prepare for a career as a chef with excellent career opportunities and progression routes open to those who successfully achieve the qualification. The SCQF level 5 Professional Cookery course gives you an opportunity to prepare, cook and serve a range of both sweet and savoury dishes in our industry standard training kitchen.
Full Time Attendance 2 or 3 days per week. 1 year (36 weeks).
- National Progression Award (NPA) at SCQF level 4 in Professional Cookery; Or
- Three National 4 qualifications including English and Mathematics or Numeracy; OR
- Other equivalent qualifications or experience
Information and Interview Session Requirements
Once we have received your application you may be asked to attend an informal information and interview session.
This could be a face-to-face interview or an interview on Teams video to further discuss your application. You may be invited for a group and/or individual interview where you can find out more about the course and tell us why you are interested in this subject area.
This is a key aspect of the application process. You must confirm your attendance should you be offered an appointment.
During the information and interview session, we will ensure the entry requirements and your aspirations and career plan are appropriate for the course and the level of course you have applied for. It is therefore important that you prepare well for this.
You will study:
- Professional Cookery: Practical.
- Professional Cookery: Knowledge.
- Professional Cookery: Kitchen Operations.
- Food Hygiene for the Hospitality Industry.
- Stocks, sauces, and soups.
- Health and Safety for the Hospitality Industry.
- Continuous assessment in practical lessons.
- Written assessments on theoretical topics; including closed book assessments.
- Assessment will be by observation during practical activities (some of which may relate to more than one unit)
Successful students can progress to Professional Cookery (SCQF level 6)
This course prepares you for a career as a Commis Chef, Trainee Chef or cook in the hospitality and catering industry.
Additional funding information
You may be eligible for Bursary or EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) funding for this course. Please contact a member of the funding team for details.
The professional cookery and hospitality sector is a growing industry both locally and internationally, with lots of opportunities. This course will give you the skills to be a part of this exciting industry.