Art & Design NC @ SCQF Level 6
The National Certificate in Art & Design programme will develop your skills, confidence, and awareness in a range of 2D and 3D media, offering you a rich learning experience.
The course will be an eventful, busy, and satisfying one that can provide excellent progression onto HNC Art and Design. You will have the opportunity to learn about contemporary art and artists and build an individual, creative portfolio of work.
Attendance: Full Time 2/3 days per week.
Independent study time is also required.
- A portfolio of work
- Successful interview
- 3 National 5 awards at C or 3 intermediate 2 awards or Foundation Studies in Creative Industries (qualifications ideally include English and Art)
- Current college students will require a positive progressing learner reference and core skills development
- Entry may be possible for mature students without the stated academic qualifications depending on their prior knowledge and experience.
Information and Interview Session Requirements
Once we have received your application, you may be asked to attend an interview. This may be face to face, phone, or Microsoft Teams. You must confirm your attendance should you be offered an appointment. Your interview will last no more than 20mins and it is imperative you arrive on time, or you may be asked to reschedule.
Please remember that you are required to bring a portfolio of work with you to your information and interview session. Your Portfolio could include drawing, painting, printmaking, 3D, collage, textiles, digital imagery etc. Anything that demonstrates your visual awareness and creative abilities could be included. A maximum of 15 pieces and a variety of work is recommended. Please be prepared to discuss why and how you produced the creative work in your folio.
Applicants who do not bring their portfolio will be asked to reschedule their appointment.
You may be asked to complete an art-based skills task as part of your interview.
Essential skills for employment or progression to further study will be developed including Digital Skills, ICT, Communication, Numeracy, Problem solving and working with others.
On successful completion of the NC in Art and Design you may apply to progress to HN Level courses.
Additional funding information
You may be eligible for Bursary or EMA funding for this course. Please contact a member of the funding team for details.
- Build a portfolio for progression
- Engage with industry speakers
- Develop your creative and digital skills
- Take part in a range of relevant workshops
- Exhibition visits
- Be taught by practicing artists
- Develop skills for employment
- Exhibit your work