Build your future and turn your passion for a better, greener tomorrow into a sustainable career in green energy.
Get one step ahead and make a difference to the future of green energy in the region to help tackle climate change and make your dreams of a cleaner future a reality, giving you the confidence to thrive and grow in this rapidly growing sector.
We offer several courses and hands-on experience in specialist areas such as wind turbines, solar system installation and biomass. Start your journey today.
What is Green Energy?
Green energy will help provide our region with reliable power supplies such as solar, wind, hydro, geothermal and biomass helping to diversify fuel sources and conserve our nation’s precious natural resources. Reducing our reliance on fossil fuels is crucial along with creating a reduction in our carbon footprint, helping us on the pathway to sustainability success.
Scotland has an ambitious target of being a net-zero nation by 2045 so there has never been a better time to look at how developing skills in sustainability can change the future, a career in green energy could be for you.
Why study in Green Energy?
Studying in green energy can open pathways to the expanding range of innovative and exciting jobs on offer in this ever-growing industry. With the advancement of ‘green culture’ and reduction targets, companies and global organisations are looking for skilled individuals that will help them meet sustainability aims and ambitions within a workforce that cares about a brighter future for all.
Study with us to enjoy:
- Access to world class learning facilities – Green energy hub offers real time experience in working with green energy systems, hosting a wind turbine, ground source heat pump, solar panel system and Tesla Energy storage, it’s equipped to deliver the very best in green energy training.
- Real experiences of work – our courses are designed to provide you with the skills and hands on experiences you need by giving you the chance to put your skills into practice through real time projects and work placements.
- Support from highly-trained staff – our lecturing and support staff will help you learn the academic theory and practical skills needed whilst helping you to develop your core skills, giving you all you need to get ahead and succeed.
- A route to a viable career – With specialist training that gives you access to the skills of tomorrow you could become an electrical engineer, solar energy advisor or energy analyst.
Where Green Energy studies could take you
Look at where a qualification in sustainability could take you with our Green Energy Academy and specialised courses.
As more than 1 in 3 college leavers go on to find employment*, a qualification in sustainability could lead to the following careers:
- Energy Specialist – Renewable Energy – are responsible for defining and implementing energy strategies for companies and organisations. Skills include identifying the needs of the organisation such as alternative fuel projects to help with decarbonisation of energy consumption and carrying out the project from conception to completion considering deadlines, procurement and budget. Average starting salary between £24,000 – £28,000
- Electric/Hybrid Vehicle Technician – can diagnose and repair faults, mechanical and electrical on electrical / hybrid vehicles within the automotive sector, whilst maintaining a high level of knowledge and attention to detail. Skills include using web-based systems, full understanding of automotive systems and functionalities, team working and a desire to advance skills. Average starting salary between £26,000 – £36,000
- Wind Turbine Technician – are resourceful and highly skilled individuals who are experienced with commercial and industrial electrical mechanics allowing them to maintain, inspect and repair wind turbines on site. Skills include actioning maintenance schedules, producing reports, inspection and testing of electrical, hydraulic and mechanical components and systems. They must also be able to work at height. Average working salary £29,000 – £35,000
- Heating Engineer – Heat Pumps / Biomass – install a range of renewable technologies including ground source or air source heat pumps and biomass, expanding skills to contribute to the expansion of green energy usage and low carbon emissions. Skills include, site assessment, installation and maintenance, technical knowledge, and regulations. Average starting salary between £32,000 – £40,000
As more than 1 in 3 college students who graduate with an HNC or above go on to university study*, a qualification in Hospitality could lead you to the following degree options:
- Degree in Renewable Energy Engineering
- Degree in Renewable Energy
- Degree in Electronics and Renewable Energy Systems
*Based on SFC (Scottish Funding Council) College Leaver Destinations report 19-20
Course Entry Requirements
Most green energy courses will require you to have standard grade and national qualifications to enter and the ability to work at an expected level.
Specific requirements will vary by course, but we offer courses where no formal academic qualifications are required. For them, all we ask for is:
- You demonstrate a keen interest in studying with us
- You attend an entry interview and present yourself well
- You have a positive learner reference – if you’ve studied with us before.
For courses with formal academic entry requirements, we offer several routes in – from studying the qualifications that allow you to progress to offering alternative options.
In some instances, it may be possible for entry to select courses if you are currently working directly within the subject field.
Choose the course for you and click through to find out more and apply:
*Courses listed above are available as at time of publishing. Availability is subject to demand and some courses may stop accepting applications or be withdrawn at any time.
Our specialist green energy hub, gives you the opportunity to train in a fully sustainable learning environment outfitted with the latest in energy systems, helping you to develop the skills, hand on experience and knowledge for your future career or further education.
With support from our qualified staff, they will help you learn about the different roles and the academic theory behind the training giving you the opportunity to succeed in your studies.