Build your future and advance your career with the skills to get ahead when you study for a qualification in Hospitality
What is Hospitality?
The Hospitality industry is an exciting profession which can take you anywhere in the world. It holds the key to a broad range of careers which involve provide food, drink, entertainment and accommodation to customers. Working in Hospitality, you are able to create enjoyable memories for individuals from working in a fine dining restaurant or in a local hotel adding the extra special touches to your guests stay.
With the Hospitality Industry ever-evolving, Dumfries and Galloway College are here to get you one step ahead in your career. You have the opportunity to gain a qualification from any level from starting out in the industry with Pathway to Hospitality & Tourism (NQ) @ SCQF Level 4 to renewing a much-needed licence with C&G Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders Refresher.
Our professional Zest kitchen and restaurant gives you the opportunity to train in a real-life restaurant environment. Learn about different roles in the Hospitality industry while allowing you to practice for your future career and decide which area of the industry is right for you. You can also focus on brushing up your skills in the kitchen with our evening classes or building on your knowledge with food safety.
Dumfries and Galloway College will give you the tools to gain confidence and thrive in Hospitality.
Career paths with a qualification in Hospitality
- Chefs – are responsible for preparing, cooking, and presenting food in a range of different settings. Chefs use their flair to create different cuisine's depending on the type of establishment such as a local pub or high-end restaurant. They must be confident to have responsibility of a whole kitchen or a specific section. Average starting salary between £13,000 - £ 16,000
- Hotel Manager - have a responsibility of running a hotel day-to-day. They oversee organising and planning all of a hotel’s finance and budgeting. Hotel Managers are professionals who have excellent people management skills to manage events and bookings with customers. In bigger hotels, they can focus on one section such as guest relations while smaller hotels they will have more roles. Average starting salary between £19,000 - £20,000
- Waiter – serve customers food and beverages in different type of establishments. Waiters can positively handle orders and payments while being welcoming and friendly towards customers. They can work in many different environments including local bars or in fine dining restaurants. Average working salary £12,000 - £16,000
- Publican – or known as a pub landlord are individuals who manage and are responsible for a licensed premises such as pub or bars. They have responsibility for the overall running of the pub regarding safety regulations and their staff. Publicans are confident people who build good relationships with customers, breweries, and suppliers. Average starting salary between £16,000 - £20,000
Why study Hospitality at Dumfries & Galloway College?
Get one step ahead and build your future with Dumfries and Galloway College – the leading provider of education and training in southwest Scotland. Here’s why you should study with us:
We're in the top 2 of 26 colleges in Scotland for further education in student satisfaction with 97% Students Satisfied
We're in the top 4 of 26 of colleges in Scotland for higher education in student satisfaction with 94% Students Satisfied
Based on the 2018/19 academic year Student Satisfaction and Engagement survey conducted by the Scottish Funding Council.
Over 9 in 10 of our students move to a positive destination into further study or employment.
Based on our performance indicators.
Pathway to University
Our students successfully completing an HNC or HND program can continue their education journey and move on to further study towards a degree with a UK university.
Our Learning Environment
Our professional Zest kitchen and restaurant gives you the opportunity to thrive in a restaurant environment developing the skills and knowledge for your future career or further education. With support from our qualified staff, they will help you learn about the different roles and the academic theory behind the training giving you the opportunity to succeed in your studies.
Our course options:
Choose the course for you and click through to find out more and apply:
- Passport to College (NQ) @ SCQF Level 3 - Dumfries
- Passport to College (NQ) @ SCQF Level 3 - Stranraer
- Pathway to Hospitality & Tourism (NQ) @ SCQF Level 4
- Professional Cookery NC @ SCQF Level 5 – Dumfries
- Professional Cookery NC @ SCQF Level 5 – Stranraer
- Professional Cookery NC @ SCQF Level 6 – Dumfries
- Professional Cookery NC @ SCQF Level 6 – Stranraer
- Professional Cookery HNC @ SCQF Level 7
- REHIS ALLERGEN AWARENESS
- REHIS ELEMENTARY COOKING SKILLS: Cooking on a Budget
- REHIS SCOTTISH CERTIFICATE FOR PERSONAL LICENCE HOLDERS
- REHIS SCOTTISH CERTIFICATE FOR PERSONAL LICENCE HOLDERS REFRESHER
- Craft Baking (SCQF Level 5)
- REHIS Controlling the Risk of Cross Contamination
- REHIS Elementary Certificate in HACCP for Food Manufacturers
- REHIS ELEMENTARY FOOD HYGIENE @ SCQF LEVEL 5
- Ships Cook Certificate
- WorldHost – Principles of Customer Service
- REHIS Intermediate Certificate in HACCP for Food Manufacturing
- REHIS Intermediate Food Hygiene
- Food Hygiene Intermediate @ SCQF Level 7 (online)
- REHIS DIPLOMA IN ADVANCED FOOD HYGIENE
- Hospitality SCQF Level 5 (Modern Apprenticeship)
- Hospitality SCQF Level 6(Modern Apprenticeship)
- SVQ in Professional Cookery at SCQF Level 4
- CUSTOMER SERVICE
- SVQ in Food and Beverages Service at SCQF Level 5
- SVQ in Professional Cookery at SCQF Level 4
- SVQ in Professional Cookery at SCQF Level 5
- SVQ in Professional Cookery at SCQF Level 6
- Foundation Apprenticeship – Food and Drink Technologies @ SCQF Level 6
- SVQ in Management at SCQF Level 11
*Courses listed above are available as at time of publishing. Availability is subject to demand and some courses may stop accepting applications or be withdrawn at any time.
Bakery (NQ) @ SCQF Level 4
The NQ Bakery Level 4 (SCQF 4) is designed to offer school leavers and those with no formal bakery qualifications an opportunity to study the subject at an introductory level.Find out more
Hospitality and Events Operation NC @ SCQF Level 5
On the NQ Catering and Hospitality course you will develop the basic skills every cook needs through working in our fully equipped commercial kitchens and restaurant.Find out more
Professional Cookery NC @ SCQF Level 5
This course is an excellent opportunity for you to study and prepare for a career as a chef with excellent career opportunities and progression routes open to those who successfully achieve the qualification.Find out more
Professional Cookery NC @ SCQF Level 6
The course provides a platform for students to enhance their skills in the preparation, production and finishing of a wide range of sweet and savory dishes in both our purpose-built, state-of-the-art training kitchen and in our training restaurant, Zest.Find out more
Professional Cookery PDA @ SCQF Level 7
If you are an aspiring chef and would like to develop your knowledge in professional cookery and kitchen management, then the PDA in Professional Cookery develops skills in areas such as specialist culinary skills, food hygiene and control systems.Find out more